1. Heat sesame oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add ginger, garlic and spring onions, and fry off until caramelised and fragrant.
2. Add in light soy sauce, dark soy sauce, water, five spice powder and brown sugar in a large pot and bring to the boil.
3. Add in the chicken. If chicken is not submerged, add enough water to cover the chicken.
4. Continue to cook on medium-high heat until liquid begins to simmer.
5. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook for 25 mins.
6. Turn off the heat, cover the pot and allow chicken to poach for 15 mins or until cooked.
7. Carefully remove from poaching liquid and test temperature to ensure it has reached 75°C.
8. Rest for 5-10 mins before cutting. Serve with rice and vegetables.